Friday, March 28, 2008

How Does It Feel


Bob Dylan wasn't the first person to pen those words, but he gave them some bit of attention when he wrote his famous song "Rolling Stone". That line has popped into my head at various times in my life. Most recently, it's been closer to the volume of a crashing cymbal ringing in my brain and in my heart as I contemplate what it's going to mean to have a person depend totally on me for everything for the first few years of her life. Of course I'll have more than enough help from her wonderful Mommy and all the people who I know will spoil her rotten. But when it's just us at home and she needs something, she won't be able to do it herself for a long time. How is it going to feel when she comes into this world with nothing but her arms, legs and voice to cry out for a blanket and something to eat? How is it going to feel the first time her eyes crack open and it's clear that she recognizes my voice and acknowledges me as Daddy? How is it going to feel when I hand her to her mother for the first time and see all of her dreams fulfilled in that one moment? How will I feel as I pass her to each of my loved one for the first time and they pledge their love and affection to her, not because they have to, but because they will? I'm no songwriter and I can only play about 2 or 3 chords on a guitar, but I think I could fill a few volumes with How Does It Feel questions.

3 comments:

sweet_p07 said...

beautiful thoughts... love you both

Heidi Joe said...

Holy crap. I am crying. The ugly cry. You know, the one where you lose a contact and snot comes out.

Eric. You are the best. These thoughts and feelings are so tender yet so powerful. Love you, big brother.

Missie said...

It's a feeling that you will try to put into words but never quite get it right, it's the best and biggest feeling you've ever felt, sometimes so big that you really think your heart is going to literally Burst!

She's a lucky little girl.

PS. That love will always be stronger and fix any bumps along the way, making it impossible for you to ever really do anything wrong.